Duties of Wife and husband towards each other (from Vedas)
(1) AtharvaVeda 1/14/1 – A good wife should establish herself permanently in her husband’s house just as mountain firmly establishes itself on ground.
(2) AtharvaVeda 3/25/1- Wife should long to be in company of her husband.
(3) AtharvaVeda 3/25/5- wife should be attracted towards the loving attitude of her husband and should always remain sincere to her husband.
(4) AtharvaVeda 3/25/6 – wife should discover so much love and affection in her husband’s house that she should not remember her parent’s house at all.
(5) AtharvaVeda 3/30/2 – wife should conduct herself sweetly towards her husband.
(6) AtharvaVeda 4/38/1 – main qualities of wife:
(a) Should have conquered sensuality
(c) possessing best behavior
(d) striving to maintain home in best way.
(7) AtharvaVeda 4/38/2 –
(a) Preserves and increases husband’s money
(b) Spends portion of husband’s earnings on Yajya.
(c) She is always working hard.
(8) AtharvaVeda 4/38/3-
(a) She does all household jobs with zeal and enthusiasm.
(b) Elevates the house in a very mature way.
(c) Ensures that there is no shortage of milk and milk products in the house.
(d) Conserves the household earnings.
(9) AtharvaVeda 4/38/4-
(a) She remains happy
(b) Does not get effected by sorrows and anger
(c) Makes every one happy with her good behavior.
(10) AtharvaVeda 4/38/5-
(a) Toils hard from sunrise to sunset.
(b) Does her work in the light of sun and does not confine herself to dark rooms devoid of sunlight.
(11) AtharvaVeda 6/8/1 – wife should be dependent on husband just as a creeper completely depends on the tree.
(12) AtharvaVeda 6/8/3 -wife should never even think about separating from her husband.
13) AtharvaVeda 7/47/2- wife should remain healthy, possess expertise in household jobs, should be God fearing and remember God’s name and possessing divine qualities.
———————-Duties of husband—————————
(1) AtharvaVeda 1/34/5 – the sweet and loving behavior of husband should make the wife to inculcate love and affection towards him.
(2) AtharvaVeda 2/30/4 – husband should not hide anything from the wife. In this way he shall win over her heart.
(3) AtharvaVeda 5/25/6- he should lead a disciplined, pious life.
(4) AtharvaVeda 6/9/2 – husband should try to win over his wife with his love.
(5) AtharvaVeda 6/81/1 – husband should lead a disciplined life and should be capable of earning money to sustain his married life.
(6) AtharvaVeda 6/89/1 – husband should respect his wife and consider his duty to protect the honour of his life.
1). Husband and wife should share everything in common. This sharing leads to their long life- AtharvaVeda mantra 2/30/2
2). AtharvaVeda 6/11/1- wife should possess serene/calm nature and husband should be hard working, possessing strong body. This leads to generation of brave children.
3). AtharvaVeda 6/42/1- husband and wife should be completely devoid of anger and should work together to accomplish house hold tasks.
4). AtharvaVeda 6/89/2- there should be perfect compatibility between husband and wife.
5). AtharvaVeda 6/36/1- husband–wife should loving gaze at each other and their faces should reflect happiness.
6). AtharvaVeda 7/37/1- husband should never think about females other than his wives and wife should dress up decently and sensibly covering all body parts.
7). AtharvaVeda 7/38/1 – wife should firmly hold that she shall never be away from her husband’s house and this firm conviction prevent the husband from being attracted towards other females.